Aid from the Government to Meet your Financial Need
Posted By: Christie Lehman - 7/28/2015 12:00:00 AM

The FAFSA doesn’t only determine your EFC, it also determines how much aid the federal government will give you. The government gives aid in several forms:

  • Grants: This is an award that you don’t have to pay back. Government grants for low-income students are generally called Pell Grants and they range from $1 to $5,775 depending on your financial need.
  • Student Loans: This is money that the government pays your college, but that you will need to pay back to the government over time, usually starting after you graduate.
  • Parent Loans: This is money that the government pays your college, but your parents will have to pay it back. The main parent loan is the federal PLUS loan.
  • Work-Study: This is a federal program where you can work on campus or sometimes in the local community and get paid by the government. The money you earn from your work-study job can be used to pay for your school expenses, such as books and supplies.

The FAFSA can be found online at You can head to the FAFSA website to familiarize yourself with the form.

The Vernon College Financial Aid Office wants to provide you the financial support you need to afford your education.  Please let us know if you have any questions!

Sign up for our Newsletter:


Contact Us

Type the characters you see below:


Vernon College - Contact Us
Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. // Closed Friday
  • Vernon Campus
    4400 College Drive
    Vernon, Texas 76384
  • Century City Center
    4105 Maplewood
    Wichita Falls, Texas 76308
  • Skills Training Center
    2813 Central Expressway East
    Wichita Falls, Texas 76302
  • Sheppard Learning Center
    426 5th Avenue, Suite 8
    Sheppard AFB, Texas 76311
  • Seymour Learning Center
    200 Stadium Drive
    Seymour, Texas 76380