Comprehensive Standard 3.4.4


The institution has a defined and published policy for evaluating, awarding, and accepting credit for transfer, experiential learning, advanced placement, and professional certificates. The policy is consistent with its mission and ensures that course work and learning outcomes are at the collegiate level and comparable to the institutionís degree programs. The institution assumes responsibility for the academic quality of any course work or credit recorded on the institutionís transcript. (Acceptance of Academic Credit)






Vernon College defines and publishes its policies for evaluating, awarding, and accepting credit for transfer, experiential learning, advanced placement, and professional certificates in the collegeís General Catalog. Policies are also published in the Non-Traditional Education Brochure. These policies were developed by qualified faculty and approved by the Collegeís Academic Council.


As stated in the Vernon College General Catalog, transfer credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the staff of the Office of Admissions and Records.  The Collegeís equivalent of a studentís transfer work is posted on his/her transcript, and notification is sent to the student prior to the end of the first semester of enrollment. Students may also view their posted accepted transfer work online through the Collegeís Student Information System (SIS) called Campus Connect. College level course work satisfactorily completed at a regionally accredited college or university is accepted in transfer to Vernon College.  Exceptions to this policy are recommended by faculty members and approved by the Academic Council and the President.


Selected non-credit coursework/programs and professional certifications are either designed or pre-assessed to be equivalent to corresponding credit-bearing courses. Notable examples:


         Completion of noncredit coursework/programs at Vernon College or professional certification earned through similar coursework/programs may be converted to semester hour credit only if the noncredit coursework/program meets the criteria described in the Collegeís General Catalog (see Credit from Non-Degree Programs/Courses and Professional Certifications).

         Veterans may request credit for training received under the Armed Forces College Training Programs and for specialized and technical training completed under the auspices of the armed forces. Credit awarded is based on equivalencies recommended by the Appropriate American Council of Education (see Evaluation of Military Experiences). A copy of a veteranís DD form 214 is required.

         Secondary school coursework is awarded semester hour credit only according to established articulation agreements by Vernon College and the secondary school (see Articulated Credit).

         Semester hour credit may be awarded for required external work experience courses (cooperative education, internship, clinical, and practicum) within the curriculum provided the learning is appropriately documented as described in the Vernon College General Catalog (see Credit for Experiential Learning).


Credit is awarded only in areas offered within the current curriculum of the College, as published in the course descriptions of the General Catalog. Assessment procedures are described in the Non-Traditional Education Brochure.


To ensure an equivalent level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equal to those of students enrolled at the College, the institution uses standardized examinations, recognized guides, and departmental examinations. When credit is awarded for exceptions, the documentation representing degree relevancy and achievement of course competencies is the responsibility of qualified faculty members. All documentation becomes part of the studentís permanent file.




1.    Credit Evaluation, Vernon College General Catalog

1.    Non-Traditional Education policies, Vernon College General Catalog

2.    Non-Traditional Education Brochure

3.    Evaluation of Military Experiences, Vernon College General Catalog

4.    Credit from Non-Degree Programs/Courses and Professional Certifications

5.    Articulated Credit ,Vernon College General Catalog

2.    Credit for Experiential Learning, Vernon College General Catalog