Important Dates Summer and Fall 2024

Frequently Asked Questions


What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money from a source other than the family to assist with the cost of attending Vernon College. Most students receive financial aid from one or more of the following sources to help pay for their educational expenses: 

        - Grants 
        - Loans 
        - Scholarships 
        - Work-Study 

How do I apply?

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at If you don't already have an FSA ID by the time you fill out your FAFSA, you will be prompted to apply for one. You will use the FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA.  If a parent is required to sign the FAFSA, one parent must also apply for a FSA ID.

Do I need a FSA ID?

No, you do not need a FSA ID to apply for financial aid, but the FSA ID will allow the Department of Education to expedite your application. It will provide you additional options such as signing your application electronically, checking the status of your application online, and making corrections to your application online. If you choose to take a student loan in the future, the FSA ID can also be used as your electronic signature on that agreement. If you do not use a FSA ID for electronic signature then you MUST print the application signature page and mail it to the processor, which could significantly delay the processing of your application.

How soon should I apply if I want to attend VC during the 2023-2024 school year (Fall 23 – Summer 24)?

The earliest date is December 1 prior to the academic year you plan to attend. For example, October 1, 2022 was the first day you could apply for financial aid for the 2023-2024 school year. The earlier you apply, the better, as some resources are limited and may run out. For the 2023-2024 FAFSA, students will use information from their 2021 income tax return.  

What if neither I nor my parents will file an income tax return?

Then you may complete and submit your FAFSA as soon as possible. There is a space for you to indicate that you will not be filing an income tax return.

 What is the Title IV code for Vernon College?

The Title IV school code for all campuses is 010060.

Will I need to fill out other forms in addition to the FAFSA to receive financial aid?

If you are selected for a process called verification or if conflicting information exists, the financial aid office may need additional documentation to complete your file and you may need to fill out and/or supply additional forms to receive financial aid. The Financial Aid Office will inform you of any documentation you need to complete. Students can go to MyVC and check the status of their financial aid. Most forms are available at You will also need to complete an admission application and have your high school or GED transcript on file in the Admission's office. If you have been to any other college, university or trade school, you must also have current academic transcripts from those schools on file in the Admission's Office.

How do I turn in additional documentation?

Do not email tax returns or any other personally identifiable information to our office unless the email is encrypted and password protected (with a password in a separate email). If you are unable to do this, please bring your documents to our office or mail them thru the U.S. Postal Service. The student is responsible for ensuring the files are secure and providing the retrieval method to the financial aid staff. Students electing to submit additional documentation electronically are still required to meet the posted submission deadlines. The financial aid office will not be held responsible for lost files, non-retrievable files, or incorrect passwords for files.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes, you must reapply for financial aid for every award year. The 2023-2024 FAFSA will cover the Fall 2023 through Summer 2024 semesters. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on you making satisfactory academic progress.

What is satisfactory academic progress?

Students who receive federal and/or state financial aid must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible. The student’s academic record at VC is used to measure satisfactory progress and all periods of enrollment at VC must be counted, including any semesters in which the student did not receive financial aid. Some financial aid programs have additional satisfactory academic progress requirements.

What happens after I apply?

Once your FAFSA is processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). That is what the government sends to you and VC once you have submitted your application. The SAR lets us know if you may be eligible to receive a Pell Grant. On the SAR is an EFC number. The EFC, or Expected Family Contribution, is what the federal government has determined your family can contribute to your education. Your offer will be based on this EFC number. The information displayed after your submit your FAFSA is an estimation of your potential eligibility and in no way is a guarantee of your eligibility for financial aid. Your final eligibility is determined by the financial aid office.

How long is the application process?

 Applications are processed in the date order they are received from the federal processor. Be patient, the process of applying for aid can take time. The application review process can take several weeks, even months, to process especially during peak summer months.

How will I know how much I have been offered?

After your application information is confirmed and eligibility determined, you will receive a financial aid offer via your VC student email account. Please activate your VC email account if you have not done so. Financial aid information is also available thru MyVc.

I noticed my financial aid offer was for full-time enrollment. What happens if I enroll less-than-full-time?

Your offers may be decreased. If you would like to know your grant amounts for less-than-full-time enrollment, use the following percentages to get an approximate amount: three-quarter time students multiply the offer by 75%, half-time students multiply the offer by 50% and less-than-half-time students multiply the offer by 25%. Not all students that qualify for a Pell Grant at full-time enrollment, will qualify for one at less-than-full-time.

How do I determine my enrollment status?

A full-time student is enrolled in 12 or more hours. A three-quarter time student is enrolled in 9-11 hours. A half-time student is enrolled in 6-8 hours. A less-than-half-time student is enrolled in 1-5 hours. Courses the student enrolls in for the second compressed course (Fall II, Spring II or Summer II) will be excluded from the students enrollment status until balance checks for the Fall, Spring and/or Summer semester have been disclosed. Repeated courses will be included in determining course load as long as the repeated course is not the result of more than one repetition of a previously passed course.

When does the financial aid office determine my enrollment status? 

For most students, the amount of financial aid they will receive is based on his/her enrollment status on the day after the census date, and offers will be adjusted accordingly. Fall I, Spring I, and Summer I enrollments will be determined on the day after the census date for the Fall, Spring, and/or summer semesters. For students who are completed after the census date, the amount of financial aid they will receive is based on his/her enrollment status as of the date their financial aid offer is packaged. For students who complete their file after the semester is completed, their offer will be based upon their final enrollment status and will include only courses completed (includes earned F's, in progress and incompletes), and dropped classes or withdraws will not be included in determining enrollment status. If the student enrolls in a compressed semester (Fall I or Fall II, Spring I or Spring II, or Summer I or Summer II) or in a minimester that is included as part of the previous semester (December or May mini) the student’s final enrollment status for determining grant eligibility that semester, is the day after the census date for the semester of the last course taken.  If a student drops, withdraws from or adds a class on or before the census date, the student’s enrollment status will be adjusted and the student’s grant aid recalculated. Recalculations will include both increases and decreases in enrollment up to the day after the census date of the student’s last class.  

How will I get my money?

All grants, third party sponsorships, scholarships, and loans are electronically credited to your student account and can be applied toward your tuition, fees, book and dorm charges.

What if I still have a financial aid on my account after all of my institutional charges are paid?

Financial aid balances will be direct deposited to the student’s designated direct deposit account. Students who have not designated a direct deposit account will be mailed a check. 

When will I receive my balance?

Balances will be disbursed by the business office within 30 days after the beginning of the semester. Exact disbursement dates will be posted on the VC Financial Aid webpage.

I did not pass the TSI test. Will financial aid pay for remedial classes?

Financial Aid will pay for 30 hours of remedial coursework. Remedial hours attempted beyond the 30 hour limit will not be included in course load for determining enrollment status.

Will financial aid pay for all the classes I want to take?

In order to receive financial aid, you must be taking classes that work toward a degree or certificate offered at VC. If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward their degree or certificate, they can not be included in course load for determining enrollment status.

What happens if I withdraw from school?

Federal regulations require a portion of the student’s financial aid be returned if the student withdraws or stops attending before completing over 60% of the semester. This could result in you owing money to VC and/or the federal government. The required calculation is based on the date the student began the withdraw process, the student’s last date of attendance at an academically related activity or midpoint of the semester for a student who leaves without notifying VC.

 What are the eligibility requirements?

There are several general eligibility requirements financial aid recipients must meet. A financial aid recipient must: be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen; be registered with selective service (if required); maintain satisfactory academic progress; be enrolled in an eligible program and working toward a degree or certificate offered at VC; not be in default on a student loan or owe a refund on any educational grant; and not have a conviction for violating any federal or state drug possession or sale law while the student was receiving federal student aid.

What if I have a drug conviction?

A drug-related conviction does not necessarily make you ineligible for financial aid. Call 1-800-433-3243 or go to to find out if you are eligible.


vernon college logo

Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 6 p.m. // Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 12 p.m. 
  • Vernon Campus
    4400 College Drive
    Vernon, TX 76384
  • Century City Center
    4105 Maplewood
    Wichita Falls, TX 76308
  • Skills Training Center
    2813 Central Expressway East
    Wichita Falls, TX 76302
1970 marked the beginning of Vernon College. Throughout this decade the College continued to grow and more students enrolled in both on- and off-campus courses. On January 20, 1970, a majority of the citizens of Wilbarger County voted to create the Wilbarger County Junior College District. Following that decision, Vernon Regional Junior College was established and on April 9, 1970, the newly elected Board of Trustees appointed Dr. David L. Norton as the College’s first president. Campus construction began in May 1971, and included an Academic Science Center, Administration-Fine Arts Center, Applied Arts Center, Library, and Student Center. The following year, on September 5, 1972, classes met for the first time on the Vernon campus with a total of 608 students. On August 1, 1974, Dr. Jim M. Williams became the College’s second president. In the fall semester of that year, combined on- and off-campus enrollment exceeded 800 students. During the 1975-76 academic year, the College expanded its services to include a learning center on Sheppard Air Force Base. During this year, enrollment in credit courses, both on- and off-campus, rose to a level of 1,199. The scope of the Vocational Nursing Program was enlarged during the 1976-77 academic year with the assumption of the Bethania School of Vocational Nursing in Wichita Falls. In August 1976 the Physical Education Center was dedicated in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas A. King longtime benefactors of Vernon College. Growth and changes continued during the 1980s. In August 1980 a Student Residence Center, designed to house 128 students, opened for occupancy. Further expansion of program offerings in the Wichita Falls area was accomplished through absorption of an existing proprietary school that was renamed the Vernon College Technical Center and the integration of the nursing program from the Wichita Falls Independent School District. On March 22, 1982, Dr. Joe Mills took over the leadership of the College as the third president. That fall, the College fielded its first intercollegiate rodeo team. During 1983-84, the Department of Cosmetology and the Career Development Center (previously known as the North Texas Skills Center) were established in Wichita Falls. On the Vernon campus, the Chaparral Center was completed, and the Pease River farm purchased through a state land trade. The following academic year, 1984-85, Vernon College reached a record credit enrollment of 1,863 and a record continuing education enrollment of 7,056 registrations. A Vocational Nursing Program opened in Seymour, and the Board of Trustees established a college foundation and approved an agreement to allow construction of the Red River Valley Museum on the Vernon campus. In February 1987 the College played its first intercollegiate baseball game on the Vernon campus. During May of that year, the new Natatorium was opened in the King Physical Education Center. A newly constructed Athletic Dormitory opened to house 28 athletes in August 1988. In October, Trustees voted to add women’s volleyball as a varsity sport, effective with the fall 1989 semester. In May 1989 Vernon College moved all Wichita Falls programs to one centralized location—Century City Center. Since the College opened its doors 38 years ago, many individuals, corporations, foundations, and organizations have made an investment in our students through the creation of endowed and annual scholarships. As of this year, more than 100 scholarship funds are available to help students pursue their educational dreams.VERNON COLLEGE PHILOSOPHY: Vernon College is a constantly evolving institution, dedicated primarily to effective teaching and regional enhancement. With this dedication to teaching and to the community, the College encourages open inquiry, personal and social responsibility, critical thinking, and life-long learning for students, faculty, and other individuals within its service area. The College takes as its guiding educational principle the proposition that, insofar as available resources permit, instruction should be adapted to student needs. This principle requires both flexibility in instructional strategies and maintenance of high academic standards. Strong programs of assessment and accountability complement this educational principle. VC accepts the charge of providing a college atmosphere free of bias, in which students can exercise initiative and personal judgment, leading to a greater awareness of personal self-worth. It strives to provide every student with opportunities to develop the tools necessary to become a contributing, productive member of society. Vision VERNON COLLEGE VISION: Vernon College will promote a culture of success for our students and communities through learner-centered quality instructional programs and exemplary services. Values VERNON COLLEGE VALUES: Vernon College promotes a culture of success through our shared values and commitment to: Accessibility Accountability Building Relationships Diversity Inclusion Innovation Leadership Quality Student Success Teamwork Our values define who we are and guide us in conducting our business every day. Our values are our morals – what is important to us at our college. Mission VERNON COLLEGE MISSION The mission of Vernon College is teaching, learning, and leading. Vernon College is a comprehensive community college that integrates education with opportunity through our instructional programs and student support services by means of traditional and distance learning modes. Therefore, to fulfill its mission, the College will provide access, within its available resources, to: Career technical/workforce programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates; Career technical/workforce programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations; Freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences, including the curricula leading to associate and baccalaureate degrees; Ongoing adult education programs for occupational upgrading or personal enrichment; Compensatory education programs designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students; ; A continuing program of counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their individual educational goals; Career technical/workforce development programs designed to meet local and statewide needs; Support services for educational programs and college-related activities; Adult literacy and other basic skills programs for adults; and Other To help prospective and current students, faculty, and staff locate important information about Vernon College, this webpage provides links to helpful information on a variety of government mandated and consumer information. Examples are academic programs, cost of attendance, financial aid, safety and security, and institutional financial reports. Vernon College’s presentation of this information complies with the Higher Education Act, as amended, and implementing regulations.